About Scott Data Center
Scott Data Center has been in continuous operation since 2006, and we are the only multi-tenant data center in the Nebraska to achieve Tier III Certification in both design and construction from the Uptime Institute. Here’s a look at the history behind our success:
2002 – The Campus Begins
- Walter Scott Jr. spent his career with Kiewit Construction. When Peter Kiewit died in late 1979, Walter was selected to succeed him as Chairman and CEO. He stepped down from that post in 1998 but served as Chairman of a Kiewit spin-off, Level 3 Communications, until 2014. He served as a director of many other corporations including Berkshire Hathaway, Berkshire Hathaway Energy, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, ConAgra Brands and Valmont Industries.
- Through the Suzanne & Walter Scott Foundation, Mr. Scott establishes the Scott Technology Center, a campus for technology incubation, technology transfer and data center offerings.
- The initial 60,000-square-foot facility serves as a technology incubator as well as a collaboration space between industry, government and academia.
2005 – The Scott Technology Center Campus Expands
- A second 80,000-square-foot facility is erected on the Scott Technology Center campus.
- The facility is designed to house global operation centers and satellite monitoring laboratories for Fortune 500 companies.
- The Scott Technology Center becomes a growing technology presence in Omaha.
2006 – Scott Data Center Is Born
- Scott Data Center’s first phase of construction is completed.
- The 50,000-square-foot facility meets stringent criteria for both Department of Defense and National Intelligence Community physical and electronic security, redundancy, and reliability.
- Physical attributes meet blast mitigation requirements, including seismic bracing and resistance to high tornadic winds.
- The facility also meets Tier III specifications for data center operations.
- Scott Data Center houses Department of Defense computing, storage, telecommunications and personnel.
2008 – Scott Data Center Expands
- Scott Data Center adds an additional 30,000 square feet of facilities.
- Mirroring the construction of the 2006 facility, and physically attached to the original data center, but with completely separate mechanical and electrical infrastructure, the 2008 addition is specifically focused on private sector users.
- Within 6 months of completion, the Scott Data Center addition has occupants from highly regulated industries, including health care, insurance and financial services.
- The Scott Data Center now offers a total of 80,000 square feet of co-location/data center facilities.
2010 – Co-Location Space Added, Power Upgraded
- Based on growing demand, Scott Data Center adds co-location space and begins the process of upgrading power to the original 50,000 square feet of data center.
- While embarking on the design phase of the power upgrade, Scott Data Center engages the Uptime Institute to begin the process of achieving Tier III Design Certification.
2011 – Tier III Design Certification
- February 4, 2011: The Uptime Institute names Scott Data Center the third Tier III Multi-Tenant Design Certified facility in the country.
- Tier III Design Certification makes Scott Data Center Nebraska’s first Tier Certified data center and the region’s only multi-tenant, Tier III-certified data center.
- In the spring, Scott Data Center prepares to begin construction on the Tier III-certified design.
- The design adds a 20-megawatt central plant in support of the Scott Data Center, and brings the total Scott Data Center square footage to more than 110,000 square feet.
2012 – Expansion Complete, Tier III Design and Construction Certification Achieved
- Scott Data Center renovation and central plant expansion are complete, and the 20-megawatt plant is online.
- June 2012: Scott Data Center becomes the first multi-tenant data center in Nebraska and only the second in the United States to receive Tier III certification in both design and construction from the Uptime Institute.
See for Yourself
See for yourself how we provide unstoppable ways to move forward.
Contact us today to learn more or schedule a tour.